Privacy and Website Policies
- Our Commitment to Privacy
- Information Collected, Use, and Sharing
- Interaction Via Our Websites and Related Social Media Platforms
- Electronic Data Interfaces
- Linking to Our Websites and Related Social Media Platforms
- Submission, Posting, and Sharing of Materials
- Online Comments
- Moderation of Comments and Posts
- Website Security
- Use of Marks, Wordmarks, and Copyrighted Material
- Use of Marks, Wordmarks, and Copyrighted Material
- MOVES Marks and Wordmarks
- Data and Secondary Use
- Disclaimer, Endorsement, and External Links
- SMS Text Messages
- Applicability of Privacy and Website Policies
- Changes to Privacy and Website Policies
The NPS MOVES Institute (MOVES) is committed to protecting your privacy. These privacy and website policies apply to all information submitted and shared by you on this website and related social media platforms, and they explain the type of information we may collect and how we may use it. We do not and will not sell your data.
For website navigation purposes, cookies are used in a limited manner. MOVES use technology to recognize a browser’s cookie when a browser visits our websites. This allows us to learn which materials bring users to our websites. The information we collect and share through this technology is not personally identifiable and does not include your name, address, telephone number, or email address.
To the Top
A query string is part of a uniform resource locator (URL) that assigns values to parameters, pass values from between webpages, and/or pass data to a web application and/or back-end database. Query strings may be used by Customer Relationship Management, Social Media Management, and other software to assist businesses, for example, in assessing marketing campaign performance and other reasons. If a query string is included in the URL, it will follow a separator, usually a question mark.
Similar to cookies, query strings in and of themselves do not personally identify users, although they can identify a user’s computer, how users navigated to the website/page, and other information. You can delete the separator and query string in the URL; however, you may not be able to take full advantage of our websites and/or related social media platforms, if you do so.
To the Top
A software token (a.k.a., soft token) is a type of two-factor authentication that may be used to authorize the use of computer services and/or to connect participants to data. Some software applications used by MOVES generate and use tokens to assist participants by providing the ability to return later to complete items on which they were working, such as an experimentation proposal.
Similar to cookies and query strings, software tokens in and of themselves do not personally identify users, although they can identify a user’s computer, how users navigated to the website/page, and other information. You can delete the software token; however, you may not be able to take full advantage of our websites, related social media platforms, and/or may need to redo/re-enter information, if you delete the software token(s).
To the Top
When you visit MOVES websites, and related social media platforms, data and metadata we may store includes:
- voluntarily supplied information (e.g., event sign-up, responding to a questionnaire),
- the internet address from which you accessed our website(s) and related social media platforms,
- date and time,
- the internet address of the website or other source from which you accessed our website(s) and related social media platforms,
- the name of the file or words you searched,
- items clicked, viewed, or downloaded,
- type of client,
- software application, and
- the browser and operating system used.
This information is used to measure the number of visitors to various sections of our websites and related social media platforms, and identify system performance or problem areas. We also use this information to help us develop the websites; analyze patterns of usage; make the websites more useful, including recommender and similar systems; determine technical design specifications; and identify system performance or problem areas.
The information may also be collected for MOVES projects, operations, community outreach, research, and other reasons, such as event sign-ups and developing communities of interest.
Access to information, functions, pages, and/or other content may require use of U.S. Government-issued credentials, such as electronic certificates, and logins and passwords. Information encoded/included in U.S. Government credentials and/or account information, including information supplied during the account approval process, may be used to monitor your personal interactions with the websites and/or related social media platforms.
Disclosure of information is voluntary and declining to provide the information may result in not being permitted to participate in events, being contacted, receiving materials, etc. Any information provided is protected from unauthorized disclosure by the Privacy Act of 1974, as amended.
Information collected may be shared with other U.S. Government agencies. On occasion, we may provide this information to third party entities with which we work for the purposes of research analysis.
MOVES periodically delete raw data logs in accordance with the National Archives and Records Administration General Records Schedule 4.1.
To the Top
Participation in interactive features, chat, and any other communication through MOVES websites, and related social media platforms, is governed by the following guidelines to protect your privacy and security:
- Your personal information will not be sold.
- Any information and/or personal data you supply is totally voluntary. Declining to provide the information may result in not being permitted to access content, participate in events, being contacted, receiving materials, etc.
- Information collected about you through these methods may be shared with other U.S. Government agencies. On occasion, we may provide this information to third party entities with which we work for the purposes of research analysis.
- Access to information, functions, pages, and/or other content may require use of U.S. Government-issued credentials, such as electronic certificates, and logins and passwords. Information encoded/included in U.S. Government credentials and/or account information, including information supplied during the account approval process, may be used to monitor your personal interactions with the websites and/or related social media platforms.
- MOVES reserve the right to record all activity that takes place through interactive features, such as online conferencing and chat applications. The raw information obtained may be used to provide information services and other reasons.
- In contacting or interacting with MOVES websites and related social media platforms, you should not provide your Social Security number.
The Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) is a law ensuring public access to U.S. government records. FOIA carries a presumption of disclosure; the burden is on the government - not the public - to substantiate why information may not be released. Upon written request, agencies of the U.S. Government are required to disclose those records unless they can be lawfully withheld from disclosure under one of nine specific exemptions in the FOIA. This right of access is ultimately enforceable in federal court.
To assist with personalizing content and improving discovery, awareness, delivery, and the speed with which content is made available to you, the information collected may be used for use in/by recommender systems and related technologies, such as artificial intelligence/machine learning algorithms, and similar capabilities.
To assist with informing communal knowledge generation, curation, and dissemination; U.S. Government decision-making; and other MOVES efforts, information collected may also be used in/by data calls, visualizations, recommender systems and related technologies, such as artificial intelligence/machine learning algorithms, and similar capabilities.
To the Top
By voluntarily submitting and sharing your information as part of the sign-up process for events, communities of interest, newsletters, and/or other MOVES resources, you consent to sharing the information below with other registrants/users notwithstanding provisions contained elsewhere within these policies.
- Prefix (e.g., Dr.)
- First name
- Last Name
- Suffice (e.g., USN, SES)
- Title, position, role, or similar description
- Work electronic mail address
- Work telephone number
The MOVES Institute encourages you to subscribe to and/or embed content posted on our websites and related social media platforms for the purposes of mutual collaboration and information sharing with the understanding the MOVES, Naval Postgraduate School, or U.S. Government
- do not endorse the owner/operator, services, content, or other material where the data is accessed, displayed, or otherwise provided; the means/services by which the data is data is accessed, delivered, or provided; nor is there to be any suggestion of endorsement, implied or otherwise,
- is/are not liable for any performance, reliability, security, damage, or other issues incurred by subscribing to or embedding MOVES content,
- make no guarantee, warranty, or other promise regarding performance, compatibility, content, or other factor, and
- require the content to be accessed, displayed, shared, and otherwise used consistent with U.S. Government statutes, policies, and regulations.
You may link to MOVES websites, and related social media platforms at no cost. When you link to our website(s) and related social media platforms, please do it in an appropriate context as a service to people when they need to find official U.S. Government information.
The MOVES, Naval Postgraduate School, and U.S. Government are not responsible for the privacy practices employed by non-MOVES websites, social media platforms, or services that may link to our websites.
To the Top
Do not submit copyrighted, trademarked, or other proprietary material in any form unless you clearly indicate that you have permission to do so. The specifically copyrighted, trademarked, or other proprietary material must also be clearly annotated or otherwise marked to distinguish it from other information and materials submitted. Material you do not clearly identify as copyrighted, trademarked, or other proprietary material may be shared with U.S. Government and non-U.S. Government personnel and organizations.
By submitting your posts or other work, you grant the U.S. Government and anyone viewing the discussion forum website and related social media platforms irrevocable permission to copy, distribute, make derivatives, display, use, or perform your work publicly and free-of-charge.
To the Top
Any comments you provide are categorized as public information. Compilations of your comments may be provided to national leaders and other individuals participating in MOVES efforts. Comments may also be made available online to the public with the name of the commenter but without the use of any email address(es) or telephone number(s).
To the Top
MOVES enable you to post your questions, information, and opinions on discussion topics. We encourage you to share your thoughts as they relate to the topic being discussed. Your posts will be publicly visible; therefore, our websites and related social media platforms use a moderation policy to ensure your posts are appropriate and not harmful to others. We review and moderate posts according to the policy below. The views expressed in posts reflect those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official views of MOVES, Naval Postgraduate School, or the U.S. Government.
We want to publish your posts, but we expect posts generally to be courteous and on the subject matter of our websites and related social media platforms. To that end, we have established the following policy.
We reserve the discretion not to display posts that contain or promote/endorse, or appear to contain or promote/endorse:
- obscene, indecent, or profane language;
- threats, or defamatory statements;
- hate speech directed at race, color, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ethnicity, age, religion, or disability;
- your own or others’ sensitive/personal information (e.g., Social Security numbers)
- information posted in violation of law, including libel, condoning or encouraging illegal activity, and revealing classified information, or posts that might affect the outcome of ongoing legal proceedings;
- services or products, including links to external commercial websites (Note that non-commercial links that are relevant to the topic or another post are acceptable.); or
- content that is off-topic, spam, or intended to promote a link.
To protect your privacy, please do not include information (e.g., an e-mail address, telephone number) in the text of your comment that identifies you.
To the Top
There may be content, capabilities, features, and/or other resources that require you to log into the website using U.S. Government-supplied credentials, such as electronic certificates, or a username and password. By logging into the website, you agree to the following terms.
You are accessing a U.S. Government Information System (IS) that is provided for U.S. Government-authorized use only. By using this IS (which includes any device attached to this IS), you consent to the following conditions:
- The U.S. Government routinely intercepts and monitors communications on this IS for purposes including, but not limited to, penetration testing, COMSEC monitoring, network operations and defense, personnel misconduct (PM), law enforcement (LE), and counterintelligence (CI) investigations.
- At any time, the U.S. Government may inspect and seize data stored on this IS.
- Communications using, or data stored on, this IS are not private, are subject to routine monitoring, interception, and search, and may be disclosed or used for any U.S. Government-authorized purpose.
- This IS includes security measures (e.g., authentication and access controls) to protect U.S. Government interests--not for your personal benefit or privacy.
- Notwithstanding the above, using this IS does not constitute consent to PM, LE or CI investigative searching or monitoring of the content of privileged communications, or work product, related to personal representation or services by attorneys, psychotherapists, or clergy, and their assistants. Such communications and work product are private and confidential. See the User Agreement for details.
Privacy Act Information
Privacy Act sensitive materials contained herein. Any misuse or unauthorized disclosure of this information may result in both civil and criminal penalties. When accessing and/or printing Personal Identity Information (PII), safeguard all information and documents. Misuse or mishandling of such information is prohibited in accordance with the Privacy Act of 1974.
18 U.S.C. §1030 prohibits unauthorized or fraudulent access to government computer systems. If the credentials you enter are not your own, you are in violation of this law and should exit this system immediately. Completing this action may subject you to a fine of up to $5,000 or double the value of anything obtained via this unauthorized access, plus up to five years imprisonment.
Your privacy is very important to us. We use leading security technology and security procedures to help maintain the privacy of your personal information.
For website security purposes and to ensure that this service remains available to all users, this government computer system employs software programs to monitor network traffic that identify unauthorized attempts to upload or change information, or otherwise cause damage.
Unauthorized attempts to upload information or change information on this website are strictly prohibited and may be punishable under the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act of 1986 and the National Information Infrastructure Protection Act.
The MOVES, Naval Postgraduate School, and U.S. Government are not responsible or liable for the security of any websites, social media platforms, or other content accessed via links or content posted on our websites and related social media platforms.
If you have any questions or comments about this website, please contact us.
To the Top
Prior to using any mark, wordmark, and/or copyrighted material on MOVES websites, you are required to obtain permission directly from the owner of the material.
Use of any MOVES or other Naval Postgraduate School marks and wordmarks must comply with the Naval Postgraduate School's Brand and Style Guide and related requirements.
Once data have been downloaded from MOVES websites, including via subscription or relay services, the U.S. Government cannot vouch for their quality and timeliness. Furthermore, the U.S. Government cannot and does not vouch for any analyses conducted with data retrieved from our websites and/or related social media platforms.
To the Top
While not required, when using content, data, documentation, code, and related materials from our websites and related social media platforms in your own work, we ask that proper credit be given. Example citations are provided below:
- Naval Postgraduate School MOVES Institute. (YYYY, Month DD). Title. URL
The appearance of hyperlinks does not constitute endorsement by the U.S. Navy or U.S. Marine Corps of non-U.S. Government sites or the information, products, or services contained therein. Although the U.S. Navy and U.S. Marine Corps may or may not use these sites as additional distribution channels for Department of Defense information, it does not exercise editorial control over all of the information that you may find at these locations. Such links are provided consistent with the stated purpose of this website.
- do not control or guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness, or completeness of information contained on a linked website;
- do not endorse the organizations sponsoring linked websites and we do not endorse the views they express or the products/services they offer;
- cannot authorize the use of copyrighted materials contained in linked websites. You must request such authorization from the sponsor of the linked website;
- are not responsible for transmissions you receive from linked websites; and
- do not guarantee that outside websites comply with Section 508 (accessibility requirements) of the Rehabilitation Act.
When you navigate or select a link to an outside website or social media platform, you are leaving MOVES websites and are subject to the privacy, use, and security policies of the owners/sponsors of the outside website(s), social media platform(s), or service(s). You are encouraged to familiarize yourself with their policies.
To the Top
If you subscribe to an SMS Service (Text Messaging) through this website, you thereby agree to receive SMS Service messages at the cell/mobile phone number you provide for such purposes. SMS messages will come from MOVES, and/or its third-party partners using automated dialing systems and/or manual dialing systems. Participation in our service is free of charge but standard carrier text messaging charges may apply.
MOVES will never rent or sell your telephone number to any third-party, nor will we use your telephone number to initiate a call or SMS message to you without your prior express consent. Your wireless carrier and other service providers also collect data about your SMS usage, and their practices are governed by their own privacy policies and your agreements with them.
You acknowledge and agree that the SMS Service is provided via wireless systems which use radios (and other means) to transmit communications over complex networks. We do not guarantee that your use of the SMS Service will be private or secure, and we are not liable to you for any lack of privacy or security, or performance you may experience. You are fully responsible for taking precautions and providing security measures best suited for your situation and intended use of the SMS Service.
To the Top
The parties agree that to revoke consent to receive SMS messages, you must reply “STOP” to an SMS message sent by MOVES and/or its authorized partners. You may also contact us in the event you encounter any issue submitting such a request or you do not receive an SMS opt-out confirmation in response to your request. The parties agree that this provides SMS recipients reasonable methods to revoke consent for SMS messages. To revoke consent to receive telephone calls from the MOVES and/or its authorized partners using automated dialing systems please contact us.
To the Top
The commitment to accessibility for all is reflected on this website in our efforts to ensure all functionality and all content are accessible to all users. Users are encouraged to review the Naval Postgraduate School's Copyright and Accessibility page.
In addition, MOVES websites are periodically reviewed for alignment with the latest Web Accessibility Initiative Guidelines for W3C. The Web Accessibility Initiative Guidelines from the W3C define how browsers, media players, and other “user agents” support people with disabilities and work assistive technologies.
Images and other content on the website may contain “alt tags,” which aid users who listen to the content of the website by using a screen reader, rather than reading the website. Likewise, a “skip to” link, when provided, gives these users with a method for bypassing the header and going directly to the main content each time a page is accessed. Text transcripts may accompany audio clips, and closed captioning may be available on videos.
The MOVES websites are updated frequently with content and to enhance accessibility. If you use assistive technology (e.g., a screen reader, eye tracking device, or voice recognition software) and have difficulty accessing information on our websites, please contact us and provide the URL (web address) of the material you tried to access, the problem you experienced, and your contact information.
To the Top
Nothing in these policies alters or impedes the ability to carry out the authorities of U.S. Government, its agencies or departments to perform their responsibilities under law and consistent with applicable legal authorities, appropriations, and presidential guidance, nor do these policies limit the protection afforded any information by other provisions of law.
Furthermore, these policies are not intended to, and do not, create any right or benefit, substantive or procedural, enforceable at law or in equity, by a party against the U.S. Government, its Departments, Agencies, or other entities, its officers, employees, or agents.
To the Top
Our privacy and website policies will be revised or updated if practices change, or if better ways to keep you informed are developed. You should refer to this page often for the latest information and the effective date of any changes. If changes are made to this policy, a new policy will be posted on our website and the date at the bottom of the page will be updated. Changes to the policy will not apply retroactively.
Last updated: 17 March 2021